Welcome to our RetiredAndTravelling blog!
Linda and David are RetiredAndTravelling! But please don’t let the “Retired” label make you think we are boring old travellers. Not yet anyways! We travel far and wide for about 6 months of the year in multiple trips. And many of the spots on your travel wish list are probably covered in our blog posts!
Linda and David are travel bloggers and photographers – semi retired and travelling everywhere! Linda is a semi-retired executive consultant with an MBA and Civil Engineering degree. Referred to in the past as the “Lara Croft of consulting”, Linda has both piloted planes (IFR rating) and jumped out of perfectly good planes (150+jumps). And she continues to enjoy scuba diving with her retired navy diver husband David. While both Linda and David contribute photos to this blog, David is the pro and the main editor of the pics.
RetiredAndTravelling gives us the opportunities for scuba diving, luxury cruising, indulging our chocoholic needs and appeasing our sea and sunshine addictions. This means we are camera attached and just generally curious! Join us on our adventures!
More About The RetiredAndTravelling Travel Blog
With the 500 travel blog posts, we know that our annual travel blog summaries will help you with finding a new spot for your travel wish list. And when you click through to the detailed blog posts, you will find everything you need to plan and enjoy a great trip.
Most years we travelled for about 6 months of the year over multiple trips – land road trips, cruising and shorter getaways. Below is a quick annual summary. Click on the year below and get a more detailed summary of travel in that year.
With over 100 countries visited, we know you will find a new spot to tempt you.
- 2 months cruising all around South America before Covid 19 hit
- During the summer and fall we did local travels in Ontario Canada.
- 4 long road trips – California, Utah to Arizona, Maine and British Columbia. We enjoyed the National Parks, wine tasting and sightseeing day trips.
- Cruising we headed through the Norway Fjords and then further north to the Faroe Islands, Iceland and Greenland. We added great new stops in the UK.
- When it was cold in Canada we headed south to Grand Cayman.
- And enjoyed Canadian cities for celebrations.
- Our big land trip was in Central Europe. We started with a land tour from Prague to Budapest. And then headed off on our own and toured Austria and Switzerland.
- Cruising took us south to the Caribbean several times. And let us stay in St Lucia for a week at the end of one cruise trip.
- A tour of China for 4 weeks included a cruise on the Yangtze and a long tour of many iconic Chinese cities and sites.
- After China, we visited Japan. A week in Tokyo started our cruise south along the coast.
- Several short trips took us to major Canadian and U.S. cities.
- We enjoyed 4 weeks in Portugal travelling around on our own. And then went to Andalusian Spain for stays in Seville and Cordoba.
- Our first trans-Atlantic cruise started with a short Caribbean cruise and then took us through Cape Verde, the Canary Islands, Madeira and into Lisbon, Portugal.
- In the summer we cruised to Alaska.
- And then in the fall we travelled to Copenhagen for 5 days and then cruised in the Baltic region including several days in Russia. From there we headed along the north coast of France and Spain and finished in Lisbon, Portugal.
- The year finished up with some Christmas holiday cheer in New York City.
- We started the year with Mardi Gras in New Orleans.
- Our big Spring trip took us for 6 weeks to Australia and SE Asia (Bali, Thailand, Singapore).
- In the late Fall, we headed off for a 51 day cruise from Athens, into the Middle East and had several stops in India. The ship continued down the east coast of Africa and we finished up in Cape Town.
- In Cape Town we explored on our own and stayed over Christmas. We then flew to Dubai for a week over New Years before we returned to Toronto.
- Several trips took us south to the Caribbean when it was cold at home in Toronto.
- Local trips took us out for Fall colours.
- Our year started in Nassau, Bahamas for a month. And then went back again in the summer.
- We headed back to the Caribbean on a back-to-back cruise through the Eastern and then Western parts of the Caribbean.
- Our summer road trip took us east in Canada to Quebec and Nova Scotia.
- In the fall we did the long road trip from Toronto to Vancouver through the U.S. And then spent the fall in Vancouver. It was a great chance to explore all the different areas in this part of British Columbia.
- From Vancouver we did a couple of trips. One road trip took us through some of the western U.S. National Parks. And another took us to Albuquerque for the Balloon Fiesta.
- The first big trip was a road trip along the Pacific Coast Highway in California from Vancouver down to San Diego.
- In the fall we headed to Italy and travelled down the Adriatic Coast for two months. We finished that trip with 3 weeks in Sorrento.
We know it is not always easy to know what travel content you can find on the blog. Nor how to navigate the blog to find that content. So we wrote two blog posts just for you!
The RetiredAndTravelling Travel Blog Content (an overview of the content)
How To Navigate the RetiredAndTravelling Travel Blog (find what you are looking for)
We hope this helps!
Want to know a little more about us?
We have now published over 500 blog posts. It has been an interesting journey as we built RetiredAndTravelling. And we learned a lot along the way.
Are we paid for our opinions?
We pay for pretty much all of our travel. But if we have received any discount or perks from being travel bloggers, we will note that in the post. We are finally getting much better at consolidating our travel choices (airlines, hotels, cruising). And have finally started to have some loyalty status with some brands. So a lot of the perks or upgrades we get are from this loyalty status.
We like to share our experiences about places we visit and how we are travelling. Regardless of freebies, discounts or loyalty rewards, we want to give you our true opinion on things that we experience. And tips to get more from your travel. If we don’t call out a hotel or airline or other travel brand in a travel post, it is generally because we have nothing much to say. But if you are curious, you can always email and we will give you more information.
Where are we now?
We are on the road again! Currently on a month long road trip around Eastern Canada – Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Prince Edward Island. Check out our social media channels for postings as we travel.
So are also continuing to publish the backlog of travel posts we had in “draft”. We hope this will help to keep you thinking about travel. And planning your next escapes for when you feel it is safe to travel again. Please stay healthy and safe!
Blog posts have NOT been updated to reflect the reality of travelling during this time of the Covid-19 Pandemic. Please make sure to check travel advisories before you make any travel plans. And check regularly. Travel directives can change regularly.
Follow RetiredAndTravelling on Social Media
Don’t forget to follow us on our other social media channels. Just click on one of the icons below. Thanks!
Get Regular Updates
If you want to get regular updates when we add new blogs, just subscribe to our blog.
Where Has RetiredAndTravelling Visited?
(From our TripAdvisor Profile)